Dorothy Bauer Table November 27th, 2018 - 02:35:19
This is a story about a table and some friends, but mostly the table. My friend Jamie asked me if I could make her live edge, dining table, and I thought it sounded like a fun project. I've had these two slabs of cherry for a couple of years and thought this would be the perfect use for them. I just forgot how heavy they were. One of the pieces had a pretty severe cup to it, so I used my scrub plane to flatten it out a bit, so it'd be more stable on the bench once I flipped it over. One of the challenges with a live edge.
Slabs is there's no straight edge to reference off of I wanted to cut some weight off the end to make them easier to handle, but I didn't want to cut them too short or crooked, so I snapped in chalk lines about where I thought I'd be, ripping An edge after I flattened them and squared off the toes once I was ready to start the flattening process. My buddy Josh price from the PI workshop and making geeks podcast had just pulled into town and said. He'd give me a hand. I always love having other people in the shop another brother and sawdust or sister and sawdust. We talked about life work travel.
Then we got to work. We were using a router, sled, and rails to make passes over the slab, for the surfacing bit problem was that cup I talked about was sticking up past the rails and interfering with the sled. Once we took off enough material, I started the flattening process. After taking a break, I came back and my router wouldn't turn on for real. This time I checked the breaker tested. Other tools tried different plugs, noting some people mentioned the problem with the router could be the brushes, so I ordered some replacements and while those are on order, luckily, I have a pretty healthy Craigslist addiction and I had picked up a spare router for pretty cheap. I don't like this router as much due to the pistol grip and trigger.
I don't find it as comfortable, but it had to do after a ton of flattening, and I mean a ton and making a huge mess. I had two flat sides. I ended up removing almost an inch of material to get both flat. I'm sparing you from the tedium after I reclaimed my shop. It was time to start the book matching process. Now, when someone refers to a book match they're talking about joining two boards that were cut sequentially when the log was milled, the end result is two pieces that are mirror images of each other. It's a pretty cool effect. I snapped some chalk lines then used my poor man's track saw to rip equal amounts off of each edge. I've been thinking about getting a track, saw to make this process a little better, but I'm pulled the trigger during the flattening process.