Josefa Mullins Table November 08th, 2018 - 08:25:09
A natural wood copy table in my living room, but they can be really expensive. So I decided to make my own. I found a really nice slab oak on eBay, which I paid $ 70, including shipping. All the other parts came from. Lowe's hardware store, but you can get them from just about any local hardware retailer. This is a list of the tools that I use. You can probably get away with using just basic tools on a screwdriver, but I do recommend using a drill and an eight-inch bit.
So that you can drill pilot holes for any mounting screws first thing I did was prepare the board. I wanted to remove some of the soft wood along the edges, so I used my Dremel with a flap sander. You don't have to be really precise here. You just want to make sure you can get rid of any of the wood that might get knocked out later on, like I said you don't want to be too precise here. Otherwise, you'll spoil the character of the wood. I use my electric palm sander with some 80 grit paper to get the surface of the blade smooth.
I also use a long edge and then, after I'm done with the 83 I'll, switch to 150 and then I'll finish with 220 grit sandpaper after finishing with the 220. I couldn't started applying the finish, but I decided to take it a step further. I purchased some small squares of Mirka gold flecks sanding paper, which is foam backed paper. It applies a really nice smooth finish. I began with 400 grit and then switched to 600 and then finished off with an 800 grit. This produces a super smooth surface along the way I discovered there were some cracks on the edge that had me worried, so I flooded them with some water than superglue and then used a pipe clamp to clamp them on with all the sanding out of the way.
I began applying two coats of wot coat Danish Oil. I really like Danish Oil because it's a mix of varnish and staying after the Danish oil had dried overnight. I began applying the first of three coats of Minwax wipe-on poly wipe-on poly makes for a beautiful finish. You can add three or more coats and each coat you add, will increase the luster of the finish. Well, the polyurethane was drying. I went ahead and began applying coats of flat black spray paint to my Waddell table legs.
Next, I position the top plates for mounting the table legs. I wanted to install these close to the edge, but not so close that the mounting screws might pop through the beveled edge. I then per-drill the holes for the screws that would hold the top plate so that it wouldn't crack the yoke after installing the legs. I noticed that because the back of the board is flat, two of the legs appeared to be leaning inward, so I went ahead and used a couple of washers to shim the top plate mounts that way. When I install the legs, they'd appear straight next, I screwed on the table legs, making sure that I didn't over, tighten sticky back fat pads are used to protect.