Corine Owens Table November 05th, 2018 - 06:36:16
I made this rustic storage chest made from reclaimed wood for this build, I used some old barn would have had upon the lumber rack in my shop for some time now, just waiting for a project like this. These are Italian roof boards about 3/4 of an inch thick. I started by rough cutting all my pieces at the miter saw cutting them close to their final length, but leaving a little extra. I find it a lot easier to manage my lumber this way, especially if I'm going to make rip cuts on my table saw.
Unfortunately, most of the tongues and grooves have from the boards were damaged during the demolition process, so I decided to cut them off. I started by removing all the tongues and then flip the boards on the other edge, so I could rip them down to three inches with all the board's I mentioned, I mean the final cuts to the exact lengths I needed using a stop block on my miter Saw when you're done, you'll have a lot of wood for details on all the measurements and the cut list for this project check out my written article I'll leave a link in the description below before assembling the walls.
You'll need to make a custom spacer. That's the exact same size as the thickness of your wood. To do this, I use the leftover piece of wood to set. My fence then cut the spacer. Each wall is made up of five boards stacked together. Once you find a layout you're happy with using the spacer to align the boards and square them up, I place another piece on top of the board's lining up the outside edge with the edge of the spacer and then secure the boards with some Brad nails, and Then repeated the same process on the other side.
Alright, so here's one of the walls fully assembled. I did the same for all. Four walls lining up the boards with a spacer and securing with Brad's nails, making sure to stay clear from the spacer. Before going any further with the reclaimed wood, I made a simple base using 2x2 pine wood. The base will be hidden, so no need to use anything fancy. Here again, you can find all the measurements in the written article that'll be linked in the description below. I first made some pilot holes using a countersink bit.
Then I simply assemble the corners using some screws, making sure to use a speed square to get the corners, nice and square. It's also a good idea to pre-fill some pilot holes on the inside of the base frame, so it'd be easier to attach later on, with the four individual balls assembled building the trunk as a matter of standing them up and making a box. I started by checking that all the panel's fit with the base then removes three of the panels, so I could attach the panel's one by one to make things easier. I first put in a few Brad nails from the outside.